Oven fire in Smith’s
Firefighters tackled an oven fire at a home on Middle Road in Smith’s shortly after 10.30am today.
Bermuda Fire and Rescue Service responded to the incident, which resulted in no injuries, with four firefighters.
Fire service spokesman Sergeant Delton White said: “Upon arrival we found a smouldering oven emitting smoke with no flames visible.
“On further inspection we found a cake box within the oven that had started to ignite due to the oven being turned on without the resident realising that the cake box was still in the oven.
“We removed the box from the oven to an external location and initiated ventilation to remove the smoke from the residence.”
The oven and refrigerator received minor heat and smoke damage.
Sergeant White added: “The Bermuda Fire and Rescue Service would like to take this opportunity to note to the public that accidents do happen, but whenever possible, before starting an appliance that can cause fire, check the surroundings and internally for any items or objects that could become or cause a fire hazard.”
Man seriously injured in bike crash
Law firm sued over hotel deal advice
Renamed restaurant starts afresh
Missing goats plea
Bermudian model wins double award
Burch backs mandatory recycling
I potted a husband at the pool table
Axis Re hires former AIG executive as CUO
BHS to create Innovation Centre
The day a whale saved me from a shark
Ag Show: children, seniors to get in free
Death penalty needed for drug dealers
Storage company sees strong demand
Researchers predict up to 19 storms
BBC features same-sex marriage campaigners
How can women achieve work-life balance?
Take Our Poll