Resolution likely in trash collection talks
Talks to resolve delays on garbage collection have gone “extremely well”, the Minister of Public Works said yesterday.
Lieutenant-Colonel David Burch said a potential solution would be put to staff today.
The news came after a backlog of waste built up after workers imposed a work-to-rule last Friday.
The industrial action meant staff did not work overtime and large piles of garbage remained in many spots across the island yesterday.
Colonel Burch met the leaders of the Bermuda Industrial Union, as well as the executive of the Public Works division, on Wednesday.
The minister said there had been “progress” on three areas of concern — staffing levels, the number of trash trucks and the availability of spare parts.
Colonel Burch said that regular meetings had been agreed between staff at Public Works sites, the Government Quarry and Marsh Folly.
A spokeswoman said the union executive had agreed to put ministry proposals to a meeting of workers this morning and that they had expressed “confidence that the matter could be resolved”.
Colonel Burch is also expected to attend the meeting.
Tipping fees for truckers have been waived for waste drop-offs at the waste management centre at Tynes Bay for the duration of the dispute.
Axeing airport would cost more than $100m
Government may buy Sandys 360 centre
Treble life-saver Mello is Hero of the Year
World-renowned Christian lecturer to speak
Wolves game switched again
Furbert takes aim at notional salary earners
Witness: crash victim was ‘thrown in air’
Moniz approves ‘business-friendly’ package
Take Our Poll